Municipal Billing

YOUR New Bill Statement is Here - View a Sample Here

The City of Huntington Beach has upgraded its utility billing system and along with a newly designed billing statement, we have also updated your account number. During this process, new account numbers were generated for all of our customers. Be assured, we have retained your old account number in our system to make payments and other transactions seamless for you, with a few exceptions. However, we recommend you update your records and start using your new account number now. You will find your new account number printed on your current bill statement. We appreciate your patience during the transition. If you have questions or concerns, you can contact Huntington Beach customer service at 714-536-5919 (option 9).

New Bill Statement

To better serve our customers, the City of Huntington Beach has upgraded its utility billing software and redesigned our utility bill. The same information that was on previous bills - including an account summary, a detailed breakdown of current charges, and a water consumption graph - appears in this new format. Important messages about your service will appear in the several locations on your bill. A sample of your new bill is on the reverse side of this insert.

If you were a registered user of the City Utilities payment website or online account management, you will need to re-register using your new customer and account number which can be found on your newly designed bill statement. The web site is


1. Do I need to use my new account number to pay my bill?

2. What if I pay my bill with...

3. Will the new account number affect my due date?

Certain fees related to Municipal Billing have recently been updated by the City Council. A complete listing of fees may be found here.

General Information

Call Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. (714) 536-5919 (press 9)

Municipal Service Statements, which include water, sewer, trash, and optional FireMed service, are billed approximately every 30 days. The due date is printed on the bill. The water meter is read approximately every 30 days. The charges are calculated for the service reading period, which is noted on the right hand side of the statement.

Payments are due upon receipt of the statement.

Emergency Water Service

Call (714)-536-5921 to report water emergencies such as water leaks, damaged fire hydrants, or quality concerns.

Sign up for New Water, Sewer & Trash Service

To start water service you may contact the Municipal Services Billing Section of the Finance Department at (714) 536-5919 (press 9) to provide the city with the required information. Normal phone hours are 8:30am to 4:00pm, Monday through Friday, except holidays. When calling, please be prepared to provide the following information:

  1. Applicant or Company Name
  2. Service Address
  3. Mailing Address
  4. Primary and Alternative Telephone Number
  5. Driver's License Number
  6. Social Security or Tax Identification Number*
  7. Service Start Date
  8. Declare if you are an Owner or Tenant

NOTE: A service application fee is charged to all new accounts and will appear on the first bill. A security deposit may be required to begin service and will also appear on your first bill.

Same day service can be done before 4:00pm by paying an additional fee of $70.00; after 4:00pm the fee is $248.00. Please provide at least two business days notice to begin your water service

If you need to come to our office, we are located at 2000 Main Street, in the Civic Center Building, on the corner of Yorktown and Main Streets. We are located on the 1st floor of the Civic Center Bu

*Requests For Residential Utility Services

To help assure your identity matches that of the service recipient thereby protecting against future identity theft we are requesting that you provide your Social Security Number (SSN) as part of the municipal services application process.  Although a SSN is not required in order to establish or obtain city services, if an individual fails to provide a SSN, the City will require the applicant to apply for service in person at City Hall with other identification as determined by the Finance Department.  In addition to identifying the applicant, the SSN may be used for collection purposes if your account becomes delinquent.  The City restricts access to your social security number to only those employees who require it to perform a specific job, and unless required by law or for collection purposes, your number will not be disclosed outside of the City.   The City is requesting this information, as part of the furnishing of water and sewer service and the collection and disposal of garbage pursuant to its police power ( Cal.Const., art. XI, s 7)  California .Gov.Code, §§ 54345, 54346, 54357, 61621; California Public Util.Code, § 12810; California Water Code, § 71689.22.

*Requests for Commercial Utility Services

Accounts established for commercial service will require a Federal Tax ID number and the signature of an authorized representative.

Deposit requirements

A residential property deposit may be waived under the following circumstances. 1. If you currently have service in your name at another location in the City and have not had more than one late payment within the last year or, 2. If you can obtain a letter of credit from another utility company on their letterhead, stating you have had no more than one late payment in the last year.

Download Credit Inquiry for customers sample letter

Service Discontinuance

Please note that when requesting service discontinuance we will require verification information such as a driver’s license number, Social Security number or both in order to identify responsible parties.

To disconnect service in your name, contact the Municipal Services Billing Customer Service Representative in the Finance Department at (714) 536-5919 to provide the city with the required information. Normal phone hours are 8:30am to 4:00pm, Monday through Friday, except holidays. The request can also be made in person. Your final bill may include credits for any deposits not previously credited to your account.

Backflow Prevention Responsibilities:

If your water service is non-residential, it is more likely that the water system on your property will come with annual back-flow device testing responsibilities. Notices for the required testing are sent to the same mailing address as on the water billing record. If you have a backflow prevention device, a notice will be sent to you in the annual test month it is due. If you need to have annual notices sent to an address different than your billing address, you will need to contact the Cross Connection Control Section. Learn more about cross connection, backflow prevention devices, and annual certified testing.

Other Utilities

Southern California Gas Company provides natural gas service. For connection or service information, please call Southern California Gas Company at (800) 427-2200.

Southern California Edison Company provides electric service. For connection or service information, please call the Edison Company at (800) 684-8123.

Verizon provides telephone service. For connection or service information, please call Verizon at (800) 482-8706.

Frontier provides home phone service for resident. You can also contact Frontier at this number to start service 855-620-0117.

Service off for Non-Payment

If your service is off for non-payment, you need to pay your account in full at the City Treasurer's Department before service can be restored. If you have received a white or yellow courtesy tag, please follow the instructions on the tag to avoid additional penalties and service disconnection. Do not mail your payment, as the payment must be received prior to the deadline. For same day credit, payments must be received in the night drop by 3:00 pm. A map and location of our night drop is provided on the tag for your convenience.

If you are coming to our office, we are located at 2000 Main Street, Civic Center Building, corner of Yorktown and Main Streets. We are on the 1st floor of the five-story Civic Center building. Our walk-in hours are 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday except holidays.

If making a payment in person the payment must be received by a customer service representative before 4:00 pm.

Water Rates and Fees

The charge for water service is made up of two components: (1) the basic monthly (meter) charge and (2) the water usage or commodity charge. The fees charged for each of these are designed to recover the cost of providing this component to the customer.

Meter Size/Type Daily Charge Monthly Charge
3/4" $0.3791 $11.5310
1" $0.7582 $23.0620
1-1 1/2" $1.1373 $34.5930
2" $1.8955 $57.6551
3" $4.1701 $126.8412
4" compound $6.4447 $196.0273
4" FM $12.5104 $380.5235
6" compound $12.5104 $380.5235
6" FM $25.3998 $772.5781
8" FM $44.3549 $1,349.1289
10" FM $69.3756 $2,110.1759


The commodity rate is $1.9892 per CCF (hundred cubit feet)

All bills are due upon receipt and must be received by the due date. Please allow sufficient time for mail delivery. Payments not received by the due date are subject to a tag fee and a possible delinquent status fee and scheduled shut off. Please pay your bills when received to avoid the late fees. If your payment will be late because of insufficient time for mailing, use our night drop located on the fountain side of the Civic Center building near the police station. Our address is 2000 Main Street at the corner of Yorktown and Main Streets. Our walk-in office hours are from 8:00 am to 5:00pm, Monday through Friday, except holidays. For same day credit, payments must be made in the night drop by 3:00pm.

Sewer Service User Charge

The Sewer Service User Charge applies to all City water customers with connections to the City sewer system. Charges will be billed at a daily rate.

Single Family Residence       Multi-Family Residence Commercial (per EDU)
$10.6915 $8.8695 $12.4100

High Consumption (per ccf) High School (per ADA) K-8 School (per ADA)
$2.3219 $3.4150 $2.1991


Revenue from these charges will be directed exclusively to the repair and replacement of the City sewer system. If you have questions regarding the sewer charge, please call the Sewer Customer Service Representative at (714) 374-1618.


The City is required to administer the FOG program for Food Service Establishments (FSE) within its jurisdiction.


Public Works Fee Schedule

View FOG Program Information.

Trash, Refuse & Recycling Fees

Trash collection service is required for all residences in Huntington Beach. Single Family Residential accounts will automatically be enrolled for trash service when the water account is started and charged on the same statement received for water usage. No separate sign-up is required. Multi-Family Residential accounts with up to four dwelling units may either have residential or commercial service. Please notify the account representative at time of sign up as to which service you will be using. All residential and commercial collection service is provided by the city's contracted solid waste collector, Rainbow Environmental Services, Inc.

The monthly charge for residential trash service is $19.61 per residential dwelling unit, which equates to $0.6447 per day. The total charge for Trash Collection, Recycling and Disposal that appears on your monthly statement will vary depending on the number of days in the billing cycle.

Multi-family properties with five or more dwelling units and other commercial properties must contract directly with Rainbow Environmental Services, Inc. for commercial bin service. For further information about rates and service options, and to start service, please call Rainbow at (714) 847-3581.

Low-income seniors, age 62 and over, may apply for a 50% discounted rate. If you believe you qualify for the reduced rate, please contact the Senior Center in Central Park at:

Senior Center in Central Park
18041 Goldwest Street
Huntington Beach, CA 92648
(714) 536-5600

For additional information regarding trash collection and recycling programs in the City of Huntington Beach, please call:

Public Works Trash and Recycling
(714) 375-5010
Hours are 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, except holidays

Water Conservation

The City of Huntington Beach is actively working on a water conservation program. The program at this point is voluntary and we are asking all households to reduce water by not washing down walks and driveways, by not leaving their hoses running while washing their car, and by not having run-off, over spray, or mid-day watering of their landscape. Shorter showers, washing only full loads of dishes and full loads of clothes can dramatically reduce water consumption. Leaking faucets and toilets should be promptly repaired.

Your water bill shows usage in units of 100 cubic feet of water. An average household in Huntington Beach uses 12 units per one-month reading period. To convert this to gallons, multiply by 748. This will give you approximately the number of gallons you used during that reading period. If you divide the number of days in the reading period (approximately 30 days) you will have the number of gallons you use per day. For example, if your bill indicates you used 15 units of water and the reading period is 30 days, you would multiply 15 units times 748 gallons for a total usage of 11,220 gallons. If you divide this by the 30 days in the reading period, your average daily usage is 374 gallons.

If you need additional information, call (714) 536-5921 during our regular telephone hour's 8:00am to 5:00pm, Monday through Friday, and a representative from the Water Division will assist you.

Senior Exemption Information

Per Huntington Beach Municipal Code section 3.36.250, eligible senior citizens may apply for exempt status for city utility tax on all utility bills (water, electricity, cell and home phone, cable, and gas).

To obtain this exemption, an application certificate must be completed and submitted at the City of Huntington Beach, Rodgers Senior Center. Eligible senior citizens will be advised if their application meets required criteria.

Please see the H.B.M.C. for more detailed information: 

For additional help and information contact:
Senior Center in Central Park
18041 Goldenwest Street
Huntington Beach, CA 92648
Front Desk:  (714) 536-5600 or Travel Resource Desk (714) 374-1572

Did you know?

A home solar panel system consists of several solar panels, an inverter, a battery, a charge regulator, wiring, and support materials. Sunlight is absorbed by the solar panels and is converted to electricity by the installed system. The battery stores electricity that can be used at a later time, like cloudy days or during the evening.  Learn more about solar.

Contact Information

City of Huntington Beach
Finance Department
2000 Main Street
Huntington Beach, CA
Phone: (714) 536-5630
Fax: (714) 536-5934
Staff Directory

Back to Top  up-arrow